Monday, July 9, 2012

Review Schedule & A Writing Update

I’ve once again allowed the blog to lapse into purgatory for a while. Little spindly-legged spiders are building cobwebs in the corners. There is a fine layer of dust on the page ends of the books.

I have quite a few books queued up for review, awaiting my pleasure. Too many, in fact. I tend to read books at a quicker pace than I review them. But I’m thinking that perhaps the best way to ensure certain books get reviewed is to lay them out on a schedule, hence ensuring I get them written and posted in a timely manner.

So, here’s the next few weeks’ schedule:

  • Friday, July 13th - The King of Elfland’s Daughter by Lord Dunsany
  • Wednesday, July 18th - The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
  • Thursday, July 26th - Solstice Wood by Patricia McKillip

That works out to one per week for the next three weeks. The books have already been read. That shouldn’t be too strenuous. I hope.

In writing news, my short story “Trail of Stones” will appear in the premier issue of The Golden Key this fall. Head on over to their site. It’s beautifully designed, and the blog is regularly updated with interesting posts. Plus, they're open for submissions until July 31st, so get your stories in.

That, officially, leaves only one story from 2011 without a home. It is still out, wandering the fine spec magazines. And, since I’ve only written one short story in 2012 (really, just one), that means I have only two lonely stories currently making submission rounds. I kinda miss the constant anticipation of replies in my inbox. I may have to gear myself up for a few new stories.

The novel, on the other hand, has been moving along nicely of late. Chapter 19 is nearly complete, putting the manuscript at around 62k words. There’s a light somewhere far down this tunnel. I can see it.

Unless it’s a train.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the colourful imagery of The King of Elfland's Daughter. Dated, yes, but well worth reading. I'm looking forward to your reviews, particulary Lois McMaster Bujold

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my general opinion on The King of Elfland's Daughter as well. Full of color and wonder. Dated in the sense, perhaps, of its style, and because many of Dunsany's themes have been flogged to death in the intervening time.

    ReplyDelete